Monday, May 25, 2009

My Weekly Top Five!

It's no secret that I get to taste a lot of wine each week! Naturally, some bottles are much more memorable than others...Here are my top picks from the week of May 18, 2009:

1. 2005 Turkey Flat Butcher's Block GSM, Barossa, Australia - Danny and I enjoyed this one at Flight Wood Grill and Wine Bar in Hendersonville on Friday night. GSM stands for grenache, shiraz (or syrah) and mourvedre. It's a common new-world take on the wines of the Southern Rhone, of which the majority are usually blends of these grapes . This wine really stood out because of its huge aromatic component - dark fruit, violets and raspberry jam! It was also a delightful match with my pork tenderloin...thanks, Rob! I don't carry this specific wine in the shop, so instead pick up a bottle of D'Arenberg's Stump Jump GSM for $11.99 to get the idea.

2. 2007 Charles Smith The Velvet Hammer Merlot, Columbia Valley, Washington - I love Charles Smith and his wines! If I were a winemaker, he would be my idol! He is the ultimate "terroirist" - no, not terrorist ;) -and I definitely agree with Parker when he writes that his style "lets you know immediately who made the wine". I believe merlot is the unsung hero of Washington State wine and this one drinks as the name implies...a rich, velvety mouthfeel and a heavy hammering of dark fruit and round tannins. Should you love this one as much as I do, you can explore several others he makes that I carry in the shop: Kung Fu Girl Riesling, Boom Boom Syrah, House Red, House White and Steak House. Charles Smith totally dominates my WA section! The Velvet Hammer Merlot is $14.99 at H&V.

3. 2006 Steele California Cuvee Chardonnay - Grapes are sourced from family growers in Santa Ynez Valley, Carneros and Mendocino. This is the style of CA chardonnay that I wish more wine lovers would realize REALLY DOES EXIST! The flavors lean more toward citrus fruit and the acids are bright and lean. A masterfully crafted wine! Way to go, Jed! I tasted this wine, along with 5 amazing reds and ended up choosing 3 for the shelves at Hops & Vines - This one retails for $24.99.

4. 2006 Steele Santa Barbera County Pinot Noir, CA - I like that this SB pinot noir has a nice bit of structure and I really like that these guys don't blend in a bunch of syrah or zinfandel into their pinots to acheive that! Slow, cool Burgundian-style fermentation means a nicely developed floral aroma. Another interesting Burgundian vinification technique: 2-3% chard blended in to fill out the mouthfeel. $24.99 at H&V.

5. 2005 Steele Stymie Founder's Reserve Syrah, Lake County, CA - This is a real bad-ass perfect a special meal...I'm thinking lamb chops or bison tenderloin! 22 months in new French oak and only 125 cases produced! Although most of you know I prefer the Rhone to CA, this one sucessfully exemplifies the best of the new-world style. Get one for your cellar, and one for the dinner party I'm invited to! $45.99 at H&V.

5 more favorites next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment